About Rob's Rolex Chronicle

March 03, 2016

Rob's Rolex Chronicle 

I created Rob's Rolex Chronicle to provide useful information about Rolex watches to consumers and wristwatch enthusiasts using the simplest terms possible. Most of the horology blogs that I frequented when conducting my own Rolex product research were bogged down with jargon and dated content that left me with more questions than answers.

What was missing for me was a current and concise Rolex shopping guide that would allow me to browse articles about the Rolex models that I was interested in, find out what makes them tick, browse historical information about the company and see who is wearing which model.

As a creative professional, I decided to apply my skill set to bringing my ideal Rolex shopping guide to fruition in the form of Rob's Rolex Chronicle. Here, you will find articles on Rolex modelsRolex tech innovationscelebrities wearing Rolex wristwatches, a detailed historical timeline of the company and a Rolex shopping guide with information on choosing the right Rolex model for you at the right price.

I hope you find the information on this blog useful and I welcome articles from guest bloggers, wrist shots of you wearing your Rolex wristwatch, styling tips or anything that will help my readers make the best decision when making their wristwatch purchase.

Rob Jordan   
Creator, Rob's Rolex Chronicle
Rob's Rolex Chronicle logo based on the dial of the 2016 Cosmograph Daytona

Rob's Rolex Journey

Since coming up with the brand name in 1908, Hans Wilsdorf inextricably tied Rolex to luxury, precision and style. A Rolex wristwatch is more than a status symbol or a timepiece. With over a hundred years of history and current annual production at about a million watches, the company has withstood the test of time and remains a pioneer in the production of almost indestructible timepieces with unmatched attention to detail.

One of my earliest childhood memories is of trying on my grandfather's Rolex Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona 116518 when I was five years old. It was yellow gold with a white dial and a brown leather strap. It dangled on my small wrist and felt heavier than I thought it would - I was accustomed to the Mickey Mouse wristwatch my mom bought me at Disney World that year, which was much lighter.
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona

My grandfather was an avid deep sea diver and fisherman and he was rarely seen without his Rolex on his wrist. He left me that watch in his will a few years ago, and I wore it proudly for years. I liked having a piece of him with me and was also fascinated by wearing a watch that was close to my age that still looked great and functioned well.

For my fortieth birthday, I decided to purchase my own Rolex and preserve my grandfather's for when my young son would be old enough to inherit it.

It was the search for my own Rolex that became the genesis for this blog. With so many options and styles to choose from, I spent a lot of time diving into the rich history of Rolex to decide which model best suited my lifestyle.

As a creative executive based in South Florida, I spend a lot of my time with clients and colleagues, but I also like to get out on the water as much as possible. Whether I'm taking the family out to the sandbar on a Saturday or kite surfing on the beach in the early mornings before heading to the office, I need a watch that can handle my active lifestyle, but still look good with a Tom Ford suit for one of the many black tie events I have to attend throughout the year.

wrist shot of rolex deepsea sea-dweller with black ceramic bezel
Rolex Deepsea Sea-Dweller with Black Ceramic Bezel
After much consideration and hours spent in Rolex forums, I went with the Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller with the black dial, black ceramic bezel and oyster bracelet. It is certainly a departure from the yellow gold Daytona with the brown leather strap in terms of style, but the DeepSea gives me all that I want in a watch - it is rough and tumble but still elegant. I feel comfortable transitioning the stainless steel watch from diving and boating to getting dressed and going out.

Although the search for my own Rolex is over, I am left with an appreciation and passion for the Rolex brand that I intend to explore using this blog. My particular areas of interest include the history of Rolex, vintage advertisements, Rolex models, design, functionality, fashion, style and accessories.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Featured Post

Rolex Online Resources